Thursday, September 07, 2006

Ignorance isn't bliss

Every day I wake up and read the Times-Picayune, WWL, Washington Post, New York Times, Engadget, The Huffington Post, and occassionaly The Drudge Report. It pains me so much to realize how messed up things are and especially in this country. The Katrina specials have regurgitated this feeling within me that life is suffering and greed will ultimately be everyone's undoing. It is really hard to stomach it all.

I was reading about the Japanese internment camps in America where innocent people were put into camps, lost everything they own (cars, houses, jobs) all because of suspicion by the government. What were they given? $20,000 dollars for their losses. This, to me, is very similar to the attitude the government has turned to those affected by the storm. Where is the help for those affected by the governments faulty levees? You would think a priority would be made to prevent what happened in the 60's from happening again in 2006. Nope. There is still no plan to create category 5 levees, dykes for surge protection, or wetland restoration. The only priority is milking the oil out of the gulf off of Louisiana's shores. Greed.

What is the world coming to? I decided today that I am going to try and get more involved in the political system because I am sick of this. I am sick of things not changing because people don't demand it. I heard Bush speak about the resurection of New Orleans and his commitment to the region. To date, from everything the federal government is not doing, it all seems like lies. We must demand more... it is our right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit tracker